Q: postscript document viewer

Stanis/law Wawrykiewicz staw at elka.pg.gda.pl
Thu Jun 8 02:33:19 CEST 1995

On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Robert A. Hueckstedt wrote:

> [...]  I have tried to
> use ps_view.ps, but so far I have had no luck.  Has anyone set up ps
> viewing with either ghostscript or ps_view?  If so, pointers would be
> appreciated.  The machine here at the Centre is a PC compatible running
> DOS 5.0 on a 386 chip, no coprocessor.

The newest version of PS_VIEW working with GhostScript 3.33 (and also
for many reasons compatible with 2.60 and 3.12) you can find on GUST
(Polish TeX User Group) server:

ftp.pg.gda.pl:/pub/TeX/GUST/contrib/BachoTeX95/BJ_and_PP/ps_view.zip

The package is not yet prepared for upload to CTAN (sorry), however
short description of commands can be found in PS_VIEW.PS. There are also
some batches which invoke ps_view driven GhostScript, e.g.
GV.BAT  - view 1 page document
GVP.BAT - view multipage document

As you're using DOS 5.0 some other batches for quick reconfiguration
and change version of GhostScript  should be modified by user.
This strange approach results from the fact that for simple documents
is much better and faster to use GS ver. 2.60, other documents and printing
at 600dpi require GS 3.12 or 3.13. This is a complex problem and I think
there is no place for it on this hospitable emtex-user list.

Greetings,
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
<staw.elka.pg.gda.pl>
81-837 Sopot, Broniewskiego 2/2, Poland