ANNOUNCING dvipdfm v0.7

Jiri Osoba osoba at jablotron.cz
Wed Nov 25 08:26:54 CET 1998

Dostala se mi (na pdfTeXovem listu) do mailboxu nasledujici informace
- mozna by mohla nekoho zajimat:

      This is dvipdfm v0.7, a DVI to PDF translator.  I wrote this mainly as
   exercise to get at the features of PDF I wanted to experiment with. You're
   probably wondering why I don't use PDFTeX.  I am a bit of a purist and I
   would rather use TeX unmodified.  You can get dvipdfm or its documentation
   from the links at

      http://odo.kettering.edu/dvipdfm

      Features:
	 - TeX \special's that approximate the functionality
	   of the PostScript pdfmarks used by Adobe
	   Acrobat Distiller.  Links, outlines, articles, and named
	   destinations are supported, for example.

	 - Ability to include PDF files and JPEG files
	   as embedded images.  For PDF files, only the first
	   page is included.  Resources will be embedded from
	   the original file as necessary.  File inclusion
	   does not work for PDF files that store the page
	   contents in several segments in an array.

	 - Support for arbitrary linear graphics transformations.
	   Any material on the page can be scaled and rotated.

	 - A color stack accessible via \special's.

	 - Beginning of page (BOP) and end of page (EOP)
	   \special's for placing arbitrary PDF stream
	   graphics on every page.

	 - Works great on plain old DVI files.

      Limitations (at present):

	 - No Virtual font support in this version. This means that the
	   "times", "palatino", and similar packages that require virtual
	   fonts will not work correctly.  Virtual font support is in
	   progress and this should be supported soon.

	 - No output PDF stream compression.  Input PDF files
	   may be contain compressed streams, however.
	   Flate compression of PDF output streams will be
	   supported in a future version.

	 - No package support yet.  Graphics can be included
	   via \special's, but there is no higher level macro
	   support.  There is no interfacet for \includegraphics,
	   for example.  Rotation isn't implemented yet.
	   This should be easy to implement for included figures
	   and will be added soon.

      This code is definitely young, but it has worked flawlessly for me
   (used extensively under Linux and used somewhat under Solaris 2.5)
      YMMV.

      Mark A. Wicks

     Mark A. Wicks, Associate Professor           mwicks at kettering.edu.NOSPAM
     ECE Department, Kettering University         Voice: (810) 762-7992
     1700 West Third Ave, Flint, MI 48504-4898    Fax:   (810) 762-9830

Jiri.