pdftex manual

Zdenek Wagner wagner at beba.cesnet.cz
Thu May 7 15:43:35 CEST 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Petr Olsak wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 07:53:55 +0100
> From: Petr Olsak <olsak at MATH.FELD.CVUT.CZ>
> To: PDFTEX <pdftex at tug.org>
> Cc: Diskusni skupina CSTeX <cstex at cs.felk.cvut.cz>
> Subject: Re: pdftex manual
>

> On Wed, 6 May 1998, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
>
> > Han The Thanh writes:
> >
> >  > yes it's caused by Type 3 font indeed. I'll fix it soon. BTW, does anyone know
> >  > how to force (pdf)latex use a specific encoding? I have
> >  >
> >  > `\usepackage[OT1]{fontenc}'
> >  >
> >  > in the preamble, however it still uses the font `csr10' (which is the
> >  > Czech/Slovak variant of CM font) somewhere. The format was generated with
> >  > `cslatex' stuff, which is Czech/Slovak localization for latex2e. Re-generating
> >  > the format with OT1 as the default encoding didn't help.
> >
> > this is most likely because this localization doesn't use the official
> > latex2e interfaces but lower-level private definitions.
> >
> > in that case the only chance for a portable document is to use an
> > official latex2e and not one that claims to be LaTeX2e but hacks the
> > interfaces and "enhances" the code while sacrifying portability.
> >
> > frank
>
> If Frank only criticise the work on localisation of LaTeX in national
> specifics, then the negotiation about national problems will be very
> difficult. I will not present many and many arguments, why this "hack"
> was done, why this "hack" is more important for us than the "babelised
> solution", because this is another subject.
>
> I agree, this specific question have to be solved on cstex at cs.felk.cvut.cz
> list (see cc) with csLaTeX maintainers, but not with original LaTeX
> maintainers.
>
> Petr Olsak

First I would like to say that localization of LaTeX2e, known as
cslatex, is important. Without it almost all Czech and Slovak
users of former LaTeX 2.09 would lose the backward compatibility
with older documents. Usage of fonts is another matter. The above
mentioned command

\usepackage[OT1]{fontenc}

*must* change the font encoding to OT1 and use Knuth's cm fonts --
and it did so several years ago when I localized LaTeX.

Conclusion:
1. Localization to cslatex is necessary
2. The current localized cslatex contains a bug

For conversion to PDF (I use Adobe Distiller because there is no
native OS/2 version of pdftex yet) I have VF scripts which replace
our CS fonts with CM fonts, thus hyphenation is correct and Type 1
CM fonts are used in PDF. They are not fully tested but I can send
them for testing to anyone (without any warranty).

Zdenek Wagner

E. Hala Laboratory of Thermodynamics,
Institute of Chemical Process Fundamentals
of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
e-mail:wagner at mbox.cesnet.cz  or  wagner at icpf.cas.cz

Local editor of the Bulletin of the Czech and Slovak TeX Users Group,
member of the CSTUG board
e-mail:Zdenek.Wagner at cstug.cz  or  bulletin at cstug.cz  or  zpravodaj at cstug.cz

see also http://www.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
         http://www.cstug.cz/