Installation of Knuth's 1995 release

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 13:39:39 CEST 1995

I have now completed the installation of Knuth's 1995 release on CTAN
(I announced the interim installation of all but the fonts a while
back).  The installation has been done at ftp.tex.ac.uk; it should
propagate to the other CTANs in fairly short order (though I have
little evidence that propagation to ftp.shsu.edu is reliable just
now).

Barbara Beeton has supplied the following announcement text:

  Date: 08 Mar 1995 18:22:30 -0800

  --------- ANNOUNCING THE 1995 UPDATE TO TeX, METAFONT, and FRIENDS --------
  I've just gone through all accumulated correspondence and made appropriate
  changes to the master TeX sources on my home computer. (I plan to do this
  again in February of 1998, 2002, 2007, etc.!) My files are grouped in two
  main subdirectories, "dist" and "local"; the former consists of the master
  WEB, TeX, METAFONT, Computer Modern, TeXware, and MFware sources, while
  the latter consists of my own change files and supplementary macros
  and fonts that other people might like to look at. These files fit into
  similarly named parts of the big TeX archive tree; they should replace
  their former counterparts. I don't know how to do this myself, not even
  at labrea, so I am hoping that all current maintainers of TeXnicalities
  will be alerted to the existence of this new material.  I've checked
  everything pretty carefully, so I don't think there's any need to wait
  until independent vetting has been done.

  TeX Version 3.14159 has four bug fixes, two of which are significant:
   1) fontmemsize can vary between formats dumped by INITEX and loaded by
      VIRTEX --- this problem had already been fixed by all the major
      implementations
   2) math kerns disappear again at line breaks, as they should --- this
      problem arose by mistake in version 3.1415.
   3) overflow won't occur when converting huge stretch/shrink amounts from
      real to integer --- again, implementors had fixed this
   4) you can have more than 32K font parameters without crashing TeX
      (nobody ever wanted so many, but a crash is a crash)

  METAFONT Version 2.718 has only one bug fix, but it corrects a problem
  in the linear-equation-solving engine that lost significant figures and
  caused spurious overflows; the bug had been present since version 0.1.
  I've written a letter to Barbara Beeton about this, and she can send you
  a copy if you need more information. The bug had only microscopic effect on
  Computer Modern fonts.

  Ten changes were made to the Computer Modern fonts, affecting nine of the
  master source files, but the changes are rather minor and nearly invisible
  to the eye. (Again they help reduce the chance of overflow.) I have been
  unhappy to see so many people still using the pre-1992 CM fonts, because
  I made MAJOR important improvements in that year, and I hate to run across
  the obsolete symbols in preprints that people send me! Anybody who hasn't
  installed CM fonts since 1991 should surely change now; and please help
  stamp out all copies of the old fonts that you see installed anywhere.
  (The lowercase delta is the main giveaway --- the new shape is vastly
  better than the old. Also arrows are now darker, and several calligraphic
  caps are improved, etc etc; the TFM files did not change, but the images
  got lots better.) On the other hand, if you do have the 1993-or-later
  version of the fonts, there's no need to replace old bitmaps. Just replace
  the old source files, and regenerate fonts from them at your leisure.

  There are new versions of DVItype (3.5), PLtoTF (3.5), and VPtoVF (1.4).
  DVItype now checks the DVI file more carefully in material that is
  skipped over (e.g., between pages).

  Plain TeX format, version 3.14159, has eight changes, but only the
  change to \bmod has a substantial probability of affecting existing
  .tex files. Accents \b and \d have gotten better in four ways.

  Barbara Beeton will be distributing reward checks to 20 people who were
  first to report significant errors in Volumes A--E. The big "sweepstakes"
  winners this year were Chris Thompson (Cambridge) and Bogus{\l}aw
  Jackowski (Gdansk), who received the maximum $327.68 reward for
  pointing out longstanding bugs in TeX and METAFONT, respectively.

  All sources are frozen and no future changes will be made unless a new,
  serious and easily fixable error is reported. The threshold for calling
  something a feature rather than a bug is rising exponentially and may
  be almost infinitely high when I do this exercise again in 1998! However,
  I do still promise to maintain these programs as long as I am able.

  Where can you find the new sources? At labrea.stanford.edu, in file
  ~ftp/alpha/tex95.tar.gz (slightly less than 3MB).

  Thanks to all of you for continued high quality support. -- Don Knuth 3/8/95

The update I have performed started from the file Knuth mentions,
labrea.stanford.edu:ftp/alpha/tex95.tar.gz; I have only re-installed
things that have changed (as far as possible).

Of particular import is what I have done with the CM font changes.  We
have on the archive two directories which purport to hold CM sources
-- systems/knuth/cm and fonts/cm/mf

systems/knuth/cm has almost nothing in it here, and what it does hold
is identical to the sources in fonts/cm/mf

I have therefore updated fonts/cm/mf, and not touched systems/knuth/lib

All other directories in Knuth's tar file are mapped to those on CTAN
by the transformations ./dist/* -> systems/knuth/*, ./local/* ->
systems/knuth/local/*

I have also rebuilt all of the files in fonts/cm/pk; I've included a
small README in that directory (not least to ensure that the next
person who has to do this job doesn't have to run around in such small
circles ;-).  I haven't regenerated the contents of fonts/cm/gf, and
have deleted the files that were there; that directory contained a
README saying that the files weren't there, and this seemed an
appropriate moment to align that statement with reality.

The README in fonts/cm/pk says:

  I have included in this directory what I believe to be the right sort
  of thing to match what was there already.  This is not to say that I'm
  terribly proud of it, but it seems about right.

  The pk300 fonts were generated using CanonCX mode from Karl Berry's
  modes.mf

  The pk300w fonts were generated using RicohFortyEighty mode from Karl
  Berry's modes.mf

  The pk240 fonts were generated using CanonLBPTen mode from Karl
  Berry's modes.mf (this differs from the "CanonLBP" used in the
  previous version in name only).

  The pk120 fonts were generated with the same parameters as were used
  in the previous version, though nothing with those parameters exists
  in Karl Berry's modes.mf; by analogy with the previous version, I've
  called this mode OneTwoZero.  I was not terribly surprised that
  several files gave me metafont errors with this mode; the most
  (apparently) serious were cmss12 and cmssi12, though several of the
  smaller-sized fonts had strange paths of one sort or another.

  I've included a slightly hacked copy of a Makefile which used to be in
  the directory ../gf300; I had to hack it because the original neither
  reflected the current `best' thinking about the way TeX systems should
  be organised, nor the way they're organised on our discs (which is
  different for hysterical raisins).

I believe that I've completed the job I undertook, but if anyone spots
problems with my work, they are welcome to get in touch with me by
mail (there's little point in taxing the newsgroups with it unless
there are problems with my work that are serious enough to constitute
major pitfalls that might bother other people).

Robin Fairbairns
(For the CTAN team)