CTAN calling all LaTeX style writers!! Readme! (fwd)

Petr Sojka sojka at erebor.ics.muni.cz
Sun Jan 30 19:11:27 CET 1994

Forwarded message:
>From ITeX-Mgr at SHSU.edu Sat Jan 29 00:55:23 1994
Sender: ITeX-Mgr at SHSU.edu
Via: uk.ac.aston; Fri, 28 Jan 1994 20:07:18 +0000
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 94 20:01:32 GMT
From: spqr at ftp.tex.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz)
To: texhax at uk.ac.uk, uktex at tex.ac.uk, info-tex at shsu.edu
Cc: MITTELBACH at mzdmza.zdv.uni-mainz.de, c.a.rowley at open.ac.uk,
        carlisle at computer-science.manchester.ac.uk,
        schrod at iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de
Subject: CTAN calling all LaTeX style writers!! Readme!

As I am sure most people know, a new version of LaTeX (LaTeX2e) is now
in beta test, and will be released on the world in the spring. It will
have a support policy of regular 6 monthly updates.

After consultation with the LaTeX2e project team, the CTAN sites have
decided to restructure the LaTeX area of the archives, to distinguish
clearly between material known to work with LaTeX2e, and untested or
imcompatible styles. We would also like to make it clear which
packages are actively supported and documented, and which are offered
`asis'. The final structure will therefore look like this:
 macros
    latex
       core           % supplied by LaTeX2e team
       contrib
            supported
            other
    latex209
       contrib

Until the spring, this will be reversed, so that macros/latex will be
2.09, and macros/latex2e will be the beta release.

Anything in latex/contrib/supported will be expected to conform to a
minimal standard of documentation and maintenance; material in
latex/contrib/other should have been tested with LaTex2e, but the
authors may not wish to promise support or documentation. It is
important to note that we are not making qualitative judgements -- we
will continue to hold whatever authors produce and place in the public
domain.

A short guide to documentation and maintenance will be available
shortly. Tel us if you want your name on a list to receive it.

The purpose of this note is to ask style authors to consider looking
again at their work, and checking that it works with LaTeX2e, maybe
updating it to use the new features if necessary. Let CTAN know
(ctan-mgr at shsu.edu), and your packages can be moved to the
latex2e/contrib/suported tree, so that users will have a good choice
of material at the start.

If you haven't seen LaTeX2e, you can ftp it from ftp.tex.ac.uk,
ftp.shsu.edu or ftp.dante.edu, from /tex-archive/macros/latex2e/core.
You can get full details of the new features in `The LaTeX Companion'
(Goossens, Mittelbach and Samarin, Addison Wesley 1994)

Sebastian Rahtz

for CTAN archivists