cmr PS-Type1 Fonts - Summary (fwd)

Petr Sojka sojka at daeron.ics.muni.cz
Thu Dec 22 19:30:03 CET 1994

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 94 13:14:09 +0100
From: Guido Sawade <sawa0432 at mailszrz.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>
To: emtex-user at chemie.fu-berlin.de
Subject: cmr PS-Type1 Fonts - Summary

Dear emTeXers,

several weeks ago I asked for a complete site of
the cmr font family in PostScript Type-1 format.

Since I have recieved lots of answers (on very
different topics :) I decided to write a little
summary about using cmr Fonts for high resolution
printing.

1. Why haven't been (all) cmr Type-1 fonts on CTAN,
   although archie reported their presence?

   - Rainer Schoepf (ftp-adm CTAN Germany):
     "Dont't know how archie's database is generated"
     "Use the fonts from /fonts/ps-type3/"

   - Geoff Tobin wrote that B Malyshev
     "... has replaced them by the higher-quality
      BaKoMa fonts, which are available in both Type 1 and TrueType
     form..."

2. What about cmr Type-1 fonts on CTAN now?

   - Geoff Tobin wrote:
     "...available in both Type 1 and TrueType form
             CTAN:  fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma
      The only remaining paradissa files are those not covered by
      BaKoMa, and are at:
             CTAN:  fonts/cm/ps-type1/paradissa"
     (That is right, I got them all)

    - and Basil Malyshev himself wrote about his new fonts
      "Differences of this version with previous are:
       1. Space character is added.
       2. Encoding is changed to be compatible with some products
          (This is resonable for TrueType version)
       3. Character shape outlines have more optimal encoding
          and TrueType outlines have simplified encoding with respect
          to PostScript version."

3. Why does one want to use PS-Type1 fonts, even if there are
   pk fonts?

     i) Using cmr with TeX/dvips
        Well, if one is using cmr10 in 10 or so different sizes,
        for three outputting machines with different resolutions,
        one needs (worst case) 3 x 10 = 30 pk files
        but only one (= 1) file cmr10.pfb file.
        (and a possibility to print PostScript :)

    ii) Writing with cmr fonts by non-TeX graphics programs.
        For instance using CorelDraw for creating graphics
        which should look like the other TeX code where they
        become embedded.

   iii) Reaching a higher degree of device independence.
        Assume you are preparing a document which should be
        printed after color separation by a photo typesetter
        in a resolution of 2540dpi or 5080dpi, proofs must be printed
        whith a b/w Laser Printer (300dpi) and some color devices
        (360 and 600 dpi). Would you know immediatly how to prepare
        a single document serving that? (Answer later, see 6.)

4. Could one send PostScript Fonts to another. (one asked me to send
   him my collection of Adobe Fonts)

   This is no problem for the BaKoMa or Paradissa fonts by
   Basil Malyshev (Many Thanks to Metod Kozely who sent me his
   complete set of Paradissa fonts several nights ago),
   because they are free.
   But Adobe fonts for instance are copyrighted like the most fonts.
   The cheapest way I know to get a nearly complete set of
   high quality PostScript ---in analogy to the standard adobe---
   fonts is buing an old CorelDraw (In germany one can buy V. 3.0
   for 100 DM \approx 65 US\$).

5. What is the best font choice: Type-1, Type-3 or PK?

   I made several tests to find the answer. I printed a single
   page containing six fonts by a 300dpi LaserJet printer.
   The PostScript output has been scaled by dvips by a factor of 10
   and 20. The simulated resolution of 300x10 = 3000 dpi is discussed
   here.  For my eyes the Type-3 fonts look better, smother---but:
   not exactly like the pk-fonts. The type-1 fonts look very close
   to pk, the differences come from a different blacker parameter I
   think.
   (Note: probably not much people else look so close onto fonts like me,
          but I'm with the Institute of Optics, working with resolutions
          lower than the optical wavelength day by day ... :)

   The type-1 and type-3 fonts need the same time to become rendered
   by GhostScript, but this is 3 times slower than using the pk fonts.

   An other aspect is the size of the PostScript output file.
   ps fonts:    file size:  6145 Bytes
   pk fonts:               54471 Bytes
   this is why in ps case only fontname references are in the output,
   the location of the fonts must only be known by the printing
   software.

   And last but not least the sizes of the font files itself (do not ignore
   that, since it could be necessary to submit all the fonts used by the
   document to the printing service)

        3000 DPI  pk fonts
        14.11.94   8.24      68664           0  cmbx10.pk
        14.11.94   8.23      74032           0  cmcsc10.pk
        14.11.94   8.23      71144           0  cmr10.pk
        14.11.94   8.25      87816           0  cmsl10.pk
        14.11.94   8.25      57552           0  cmss10.pk
        14.11.94   8.24     102460           0  cmti10.pk
                                  = 404,116 Bytes

        PostScript Type-1 fonts
         9.11.94  17.56      36100           0  cmbx10.pfb
         9.11.94  17.56      36113           0  cmcsc10.pfb
         9.11.94  17.56      36648           0  cmr10.pfb
         9.11.94  17.56      41242           0  cmsl10.pfb
         9.11.94  17.56      27522           0  cmss10.pfb
         9.11.94  17.57      45739           0  cmti10.pfb
                                  = 223,364 Bytes

        PostScript Type-3 fonts
        10.08.92   2.00      77431           0  cmbx10.ps
        10.08.92   2.00      78515           0  cmcsc10.ps
        10.08.92   2.00      80497           0  cmr10.ps
        10.08.92   2.00      86241         160  cmsl10.ps
        10.08.92   2.00      57804         160  cmss10.ps
        10.08.92   2.00      88160           0  cmti10.ps
                                  = 468,648 Bytes

   And if you like to compress your fonts by zip, there is a little
   advantage for the (ASCII) code of the type-3 fonts:

         Length  Method   Size  Ratio   Date    Time    CRC-32  Attr  Name
         ------  ------   ----- -----   ----    ----   -------- ----  ----
          80497  DeflatN  20637  75%  10-08-92  02:00  afe7792a --w-  CMR10.PS
          36648  DeflatN  34763   6%  09-11-94  17:56  8fecfb14 --w-  CMR10.PFB

6. What about producing really portable PostScript documents.
   Since the usage of pk fonts fixes the output resolution, one should
   use the PS pendants instead. dvips offers two possible ways for
   that.
   a) declaring the fonts as external.
       One should edit the psfonts.map file, for cmr10 as external font:
                cmr10   cmr10
       In the output dvips writes only a reference onto this name
       cmr10 the outputting device must have acces to a downloadable
       font 'cmr10.pfb' for instance. This is done for GhostScript with the
       following line in its FontMap file:
                /cmr10                          (cmr10.pfb) ;

   b) Include the font as header in the ps file.
       One should use a little different line in psfonts.map:
                cmr10   <cmr10.pfb
       Then dvips includes the cmr10.pfb file as header in the output.
       dvips looks for cmr10.pfb in the pathes specified by DVIPSHEADERS
       or the corresponding entry 'H ...' in config.ps.
       In this case the output device needs nothing to know about the
       fonts used in the document, but the produced ps-files can
       become very large.
       (A couple of testpages of a book reaches 0.5MB only for fonts
       easily)

---
Gruss / Regards
       Guido Sawade   <sawade at marie.physik.tu-berlin.de>
       TU Berlin,  Opt. Inst.,  PN 0-1,  10623 Berlin,  FRG